The main objective of the project ENERGY BARGE is to exploit the potential for green energy in the form of biomass along the Danube River in a sustainable way, thereby increasing energy security and efficiency in the Danube countries, considering:
An outstanding feature of the ENERGY BARGE project is its cross-sectoral approach: the project will bring together key actors along the entire value chain, stakeholders from the bioenergy industry, Danube ports as well as relevant public authorities and policy stakeholders. This shall support transnational know-how transfer and cooperation.
ENERGY BARGE will build a platform for the exchange of experiences and best practices, extending the deployment of biomass for energy production in the Danube region.
An increased use of Danube logistics will help to reduce emissions, to establish a low-carbon transport system and to improve the environment performance along the entire bioenergy value chains.
The project's in particular contributes to the implementation of the action plans elaborated in Priority Area (PA) 2 "Energy" and PA 1a "Inland Waterways" of the EU Strategy for the Danube Region (EUSDR).
ENERGY BARGE is co-funded by European Union funds (ERDF).
On the 28th of April 2017, at Cubix Hotel, 47 Bd. Saturn, Brasov County, was organized the National Info Day B4B, an all day event dedicated to the project B4B and to the biomass specifics, designed as an interactive and attractive instrument.
1. The Info Day was opened by Mr. Ilias Papageorgiadis, the president of ARBIO, with a welcome note highlighting the purpose of the event and the recent developments on the biomass sector in Romania.
Mr. Papageorgiadis presented also the national framework conditions, especially the new Support Scheme for Biomass Projects, a legislative proposal submitted by ARBIO to the Romania's Parliament
2. The coordinator of the project, Mrs. Mariana Stoicescu, presented Bioenergy4Business, its motivation and objectives, its target groups and the project results having been achieved so far. There were presented in detail the findings of the project with regard to:
With special focus on the:
3. After the presentation of the project and its results, the speakers along with the present people, summarized the actual status of the market, its opportunities and needs of the promising market segments.
4. After the coffee break, Mr. Grigoris Papageorgiadis presented the Fuel parameter calculation tool which was developed for the Bioenergy4Business project by the Agency for Energy of Austria, as a multilingual tool dedicated to anyone interested in the assessment of the economic costs of their biomass project, according to a series of parameters, such as standard prices, specific costs, subsidies, performance indicators, etc.
The extensive presentation of the main features and functions of the tool was followed by a Q&A session, where all the participants were welcomed to ask questions and more details about the functionality of the tool, availability, parameters, etc.
5. The following part of the event was dedicated to a Success Story in the implementation of biomass in-house projects, the project of Bioenergy Suceava, which delivers heating for more than 50 thousand beneficiaries at the lowest price in Romania (116 lei per Gcal) with no subsidies from the town hall.
The discussion was focused on two issues:
Regarding the issue of the current Biomass law, the main problem is the problems with selling Green Certificates at the platform of OPCOM. The demand of Green Certificates is significantly lower than the demand, which means there are Green Certificates that are not sold.
At this point ARBIO described the proposal for the new Biomass Law. The Romanian Senate has already approved the proposal and ARBIO asked the opinion of the Stakeholders that were present. The Stakeholders approved the overall idea of the proposal that will be based on Feed in Premium for projects up to 1 Mw and with tenders for the price of electricity that will be produced for bigger projects. The proposal has to be approved by the Parliament and there has been set a specific date for the approval.
Apart from this, the need for a new for District Heating was also mentioned from the Stakeholders.
Regarding the second issue, it was mentioned clearly by the Stakeholders the need for educating the producers of Biomass regarding having long terms supply contracts.
A potential investor for a Greenhouse mentioned that it is not possible to secure the necessary quantities of biomass through long-term contracts for the heating needs of the project, as the producers are not considering this option. The potential investor agreed to use the tool that the Bioenergy for Business project has prepared and he arranged a meeting at the second week of May with the representatives of ARBIO.
ARBIO, together with its partners from 11 EU countries, is currently participating in an Horizon 2020 project, "Bioenergy4Business", that aims at supporting and promoting the (at least partial) substitution of fossil fuels used for heating with the available biomass sources at local level.
Bioenergy4Business will build bridges between policies and markets to support the creation of an enabling environment, the use of sound business and financing models and the careful assessment and implementation of biomass heat in local and district heating and in "in-house" applications. These aspects will be considered for the most promising market segments among industry and commerce, residential buildings, agriculture and commercial and public services, identified during the project's lifetime.
Please download from here the interview of Mr. Herbert Tretter, the representative of the Austrian Energy Agency, the coordinator of the project, that explains the project and its purpose
ARBIO organizes the "Bioenergy4Business" workshop and has the pleasure to invite you to a debate regarding:
The event takes place on Wednesday, the 21st of October 2015, between 9.30 and 13.10, at the premises of EcoHORNET, Bucharest - Pitesti Highway, km. 13.2, Ciorogarla exit, 4, Italia St., Chiajna, Ilfov. For details concerning the program, the location, as well as for any other information, we remain at your disposal: mariana.stoicescu